[AT] The Amish, was Re: OT Humor

Troy Bogdan tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 10:36:26 PDT 2006

2 points here . . .

1) Remember, the Amish code requires them to not be connected to the outside
world, ie, via wires.  That is why some orders are allowed to use cell
phones, and generators for electricity, and actually it is common for a
community to have a telephone in common, usually somewhere outside in its
own building, far from their home, so in theory it would be possible for
them to have a generator to power the television, and since tv and satellite
are both wireless, they could have RFTV.  It is doubtful in my opinion that
they actually would have a t.v though.

2)  It is not only the amish that use horse-drawn equipment.  Many small
farmers who fall under the category of "back to the earth," or
self-sustainable types have eschewed tractors, and do their work with horses
and horse-drawn equipment.  Perhaps this was the focus group that they were
targeting for that show, but once again doubtful in my opinion, as these
folks probably threw away their tv the moment they moved to the country, but
you never know.

Just my nickel's worth . . .  Happy Easter/Passover/Spring,  Troy

Troy Bogdan
Pure Earth Organic Farm, LLC
19000 New Richmond Road
Cambridge Springs, PA  16403
(814) 967-4423
www.pureearthorganic.com
Our online Farm Market:
http://www.localharvest.org/store/M5225

On Sunday 16 April 2006 08:02, Jim & Lyn Evans wrote:
> I question the sanity of an infomercial for the horse drawn equipment.
> Wouldn't this be targeted to the Amish?  How do they watch RFDTV without
> electricity?

Electricity is not the problem.   The Amish might be allowed electricity (In
some areas, remember the locals control what is/is not allowed), but it is
less likely they will be allowed TV.    The filth will keep them away from
TV.

Some Amish have tractors.    I presume that group would use tractor powered
equipment.    Those who have horses are unlikely to be allowed the stuff you
saw.

I'm sure the show was aimed not at the Amish, but as rich horse owners, just
like the rest of that channel appearently is (from what I've heard here - I
don't have a TV myself).   Some of the rich people I know come home from
their day job and go to work on their hobby farm with horses.   They are
very
likely to use a horse to pull such machines.   Money is not an issue (Really
to have horses money cannot be an issue), the issue is what gives them
pleasure now.