[AT] Economy Jim Dandy

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Apr 14 19:46:32 PDT 2006

Well, just remember to keep working from left to right on the
disassembly, Bob.  The first thing out has to be the set screw in the
end of the interlock/detent area and then you can work your way right
across the whole mechanism.  Everything (including the Welsh plugs)
should be reusable.  Once you get the second/third detent ball out, you
can drive the roll pin out of the fork.  Then you can drive the rail
toward the rear (using a punch in the roll pin hole) to remove the Welsh
plug.

I rehab the Welsh plugs (expansion plugs) by pressing an old bearing
ball against the plug to make it spherical again.  A 1/2" socket makes a
good anvil.  I do this process in a machinist's vise rather than to
pound on it with a hammer.  Setting the plugs again is a snap.  Just
coat the seat in the end of the casting with silicone sealant, drop the
plug back in the hole, and tap it with a fairly large punch and hammer
until the plug is nearly flat again.

BTW, inspect the index pin in the shifter tower when you have the lever
out.  The pin is supposed to be round, not elliptical.  A transmission
of your vintage should have a hardened pin in it, so it probably is OK.

Larry