[AT] Economy Jim Dandy

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Apr 14 15:14:17 PDT 2006

There are two different designs on the shifter mechanism, Bob.  One has
a solid interlock slug between the shifter rails and the other has a
two-piece interlock slug with a spring inside it.  You can tell which
design you have by looking at the outside of the casting.  The newer
(solid slug) design has two bosses cast into the cover (one on each
side) and the older style only has one.  The boss on the left side of
the cover has a hole through it and is drilled on the newer style but is
simply a hole all the way to the shifter rail on the older style.
You'll have to remove both shifter rails, all the Welsh plugs, roll
pins, interlocks, etc, to get the conical spring out that holds the
shifter lever in FROM THE BOTTOM.  There is no need to remove the
indexing pin in the side of the shifter tower.  It is installed from the
INSIDE and serves only to keep the lever from rotating.

If you run into problems, keep me in mind.  I rebuilt 8 or 9 of those
transmission tops last year alone.

Larry