[Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storagebuilding forFarmall Tractors

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Thu Apr 13 07:22:12 PDT 2006

Ivan,  Thanks much....6" of gravel, I will keep that in mind.   Vapor
barrier and bubble wrap...curious as to why the bubble wrap and is there a
particular kind.  Sound like you have a pretty good set up.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

"ivan" <ivancou at alltel.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
04/12/2006 07:36 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storagebuilding forFarmall
Tractors

Larry ,  Last year was the first winter in the addition .  It was built to
store suff (camper,72 chevy,tractors) as opposed to a work area .But I
wanted the option of being able to heat it if need be .  It is set up in
zones , one being warm all the time with the bathroom ( water line is
under
it ) . No problems with cracking .   Concrete is fiber reinenforced ,not
that that means didle because if its gonna crack it will .But it is much
easier to work than mesing with wire . One thing , of all the cement we
have
poured around here I have only had one slab crack , that one was on an
uneven grade and not much gravel under the one end  . I attribute it to
not
enough gravel for it to float on .  I dont pour anything now without 6 "
of
gravel .
I took a different aproach to installing the lines . Plastic vapor barrier
over the gravel . Double bubble over that , covered with sheets of tin .
Same type used for the building ,except wrapper grade .  Laid face down ,
pipe laid into the channels and held in with conduit clamps every 2 ft or
so
. However the ends of metal were held back about 12 " from the outside
walls
to make looping the ends easier. .   As the cement was poured we were able
to run over it with no problems .
The water is heated with an outside boiler with radiators in the shop and
house . Really cold days I turn the garage off and only pump the heat into
the house with the exception of the bathroom where the water line s are .
Slow to heat up but very comfortable after and will stay warm for quite
awhile . I confess I got lazy an went without a fire for a couple days and
never had the water freeze.   I usually use about 4 ton of coal & a couple
cords of wood per year , didnt see much change .
I dont know of any maintence requirements . I however use antifreeze
instead
of plain water in the boiler , its kinda costly but I dont worry about
going
away in the winter and having anything freeze .  With the price of oil
going
up I imagine the plastic pipe is too .  But it was worth every $ in
comfort
. In fact I have 10 ' ceilings in the woodshop and I'm seriously looking
at
pouring another 4"of concrete on top of the floor with plastic in it .
Ivan

--=_alternative 004EF0F38625714F_=

gravel, I will keep that in mind.   Vapor barrier and bubble wrap...curious
as to why the bubble wrap and is there a particular kind.  Sound like
you have a pretty good set up.</font>
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240<br>
308-865-8535<br>
308-865-8722 fax<br>
hardestyll at unk.edu</font>
<farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com></font>
Shop and        Storagebuilding
   forFarmall Tractors</font></table>
addition .  It was built to<br>
store suff (camper,72 chevy,tractors) as opposed to a work area .But I<br>
wanted the option of being able to heat it if need be .  It is set
up in<br>
zones , one being warm all the time with the bathroom ( water line is under<br>
it ) . No problems with cracking .   Concrete is fiber reinenforced
,not<br>
that that means didle because if its gonna crack it will .But it is much<br>
easier to work than mesing with wire . One thing , of all the cement we
have<br>
poured around here I have only had one slab crack , that one was on an<br>
uneven grade and not much gravel under the one end  . I attribute
it to not<br>
enough gravel for it to float on .  I dont pour anything now without
6 " of<br>
gravel .<br>
I took a different aproach to installing the lines . Plastic vapor barrier<br>
over the gravel . Double bubble over that , covered with sheets of tin
.<br>
Same type used for the building ,except wrapper grade .  Laid face
down ,<br>
pipe laid into the channels and held in with conduit clamps every 2 ft
or so<br>
. However the ends of metal were held back about 12 " from the outside
walls<br>
to make looping the ends easier. .   As the cement was poured we were
able<br>
to run over it with no problems .<br>
The water is heated with an outside boiler with radiators in the shop and<br>
house . Really cold days I turn the garage off and only pump the heat into<br>
the house with the exception of the bathroom where the water line s are
.<br>
Slow to heat up but very comfortable after and will stay warm for quite<br>
awhile . I confess I got lazy an went without a fire for a couple days
and<br>
never had the water freeze.   I usually use about 4 ton of coal &
a couple<br>
cords of wood per year , didnt see much change .<br>
I dont know of any maintence requirements . I however use antifreeze instead<br>
of plain water in the boiler , its kinda costly but I dont worry about
going<br>
away in the winter and having anything freeze .  With the price of
oil going<br>
up I imagine the plastic pipe is too .  But it was worth every $ in
comfort<br>
. In fact I have 10 ' ceilings in the woodshop and I'm seriously looking
at<br>
pouring another 4"of concrete on top of the floor with plastic in
it .<br>
Ivan<br>