[Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storage building for Farmall Tractors

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Wed Apr 12 11:42:21 PDT 2006

Greg,  thanks..and I would be interested in learning a from others about
any insulation problems.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

Greg Hass <gkhass at avci.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
04/12/2006 12:15 AM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storage building for
Farmall Tractors

Some comments about buildings; but as to how they seem to work in
Michigan.
What seems to work here may or may not work in your state. Skylights are
out. With our winds you are lucky if they last 5 years before being sucked

off the roof. Also if you try to heat the building, dripping gets too
serious to tolerate. Around here the shop part is best built with a
ceiling
. Fiberglass panels are ok in the sidewalls if not heated; again with heat

condensation becomes a big problem. Insulation under the steel I don't
recomend. My brother did this and while he has had no problems, on days
with sun and clouds it drives one nuts. When the sun comes out the steel
expands a squeaks along the stryfoam, 30 seconds later the sun goes under
cloud and the steel shrinks and the whole building makes noise again. On a

livestock building I had built about 22 years ago they  put insulation
under the  steel but they misrepresented it and it shrunk (some kind of
fiber insulation) and know the roof leaks bad and some sheets are coming
loose know thjat the wind can work at them. They were state approved so I
guess that made legal crooks. They built a couple of hundred barns around
here in a couple of years but when all kinds of problems started to
surface, they skipped town with no forwarding address. We checked with an
attorney and he said To bad, SO sad. My shop is small, 24 by 24, but all I

could afford and much better than what I had. The nice thing is that i can

heat it year around, keeping it at 40 unless I turn it higher. This keeps
paint etc. from freezing and keeps things from sweating on colder high
humidity days. As an example, last week I decided to try a roll of .030
wire in my wire welder that my brother had boughten by mistake. He had
stored it in his shop for a couple of years(he heats only when needed)
>From
moisture it had rusted enough that we had to pull over 200 feet off the
roll to get to wire that would feed through the welder.Happy building.
Greg Hass

--=_alternative 0066C1288625714E_=

in learning a from others about any insulation problems.</font>
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240<br>
308-865-8535<br>
308-865-8722 fax<br>
hardestyll at unk.edu</font>
Shop and Storage        building for Farmall
Tractors</font></table>
seem to work in Michigan. <br>
What seems to work here may or may not work in your state. Skylights are
out. With our winds you are lucky if they last 5 years before being sucked
off the roof. Also if you try to heat the building, dripping gets too <br>
serious to tolerate. Around here the shop part is best built with a ceiling
. Fiberglass panels are ok in the sidewalls if not heated; again with heat
condensation becomes a big problem. Insulation under the steel I don't
recomend. My brother did this and while he has had no problems, on days
with sun and clouds it drives one nuts. When the sun comes out the steel
expands a squeaks along the stryfoam, 30 seconds later the sun goes under
a <br>
cloud and the steel shrinks and the whole building makes noise again. On
a <br>
livestock building I had built about 22 years ago they  put insulation
under the  steel but they misrepresented it and it shrunk (some kind
of <br>
fiber insulation) and know the roof leaks bad and some sheets are coming
loose know thjat the wind can work at them. They were state approved so
I <br>
guess that made legal crooks. They built a couple of hundred barns around
here in a couple of years but when all kinds of problems started to <br>
surface, they skipped town with no forwarding address. We checked with
an <br>
attorney and he said To bad, SO sad. My shop is small, 24 by 24, but all
I <br>
could afford and much better than what I had. The nice thing is that i
can <br>
heat it year around, keeping it at 40 unless I turn it higher. This keeps
paint etc. from freezing and keeps things from sweating on colder high
humidity days. As an example, last week I decided to try a roll of .030
wire in my wire welder that my brother had boughten by mistake. He had
stored it in his shop for a couple of years(he heats only when needed)
>From <br>
moisture it had rusted enough that we had to pull over 200 feet off the
roll to get to wire that would feed through the welder.Happy building.<br>
Greg Hass<br>