[Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storage building forFarmall ...

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Wed Apr 12 11:38:33 PDT 2006

Mike,  Sounds good...now how big a refrigerator is big enough...or are
they like buildings...always too small for everything you want to put in
them.   Yes, I want to leave to a builder the parts that he knows
best...and I might have to end up doing twice if I did it!!

Looking at 40 wide by 70 (or more long), with 14' side walls and overhead
doors at each end.   I will keep in mind the vapor barrier.  Had a phone
in my shop in Texas.  Spend too much time responding to sales calls....but
then I would get a call from "she who must be obeyed" about what I wanted
for supper from town (as if I really had a choice) and I was glad I had a
phone.   Maybe caller ID on the phone in the shop!!

What is your experience with heat in the floor...particularly when I will
work (until I retire) in the shop only occasionally?  Sure don't want it
to freeze up also...any problems.

Thanks much.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

Remember....."For a little more money you can do it yourself"
Most pole barn builders work pretty cheap.
As some of you know I make my living as a  Building Contractor so I know a
little bit about this building stuff.    Karl can tell you about his Arch
building.   :-)

Basic rule of thumb........Always build the building twice as long as it's
width.  This gives you the best use of space.
My suggestions  ( now remember I live in Wisconsin)
Your shop  area should be at least 30' wide .  Ceiling 12' high
Insulate the shop and put in either "in floor heat", with the heat source
located outside of the shop, or a sealed combustion heater.  You never
want
to paint etc...in a shop with open flame.
It doesn't hurt to have an airconditioner for the summer either.  :-)
Put plastic or other vapor barrier under your concrete floor.
If you can, put in an I-beam across the shop for a trolley and chain
hoist.
Sure makes all of that tractor splitting and engine pulling easier.
I have everything in my shop on wheels so that I can wheel everything out
of
the way and it makes pressure washing the floor a lot easier.
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE SHOP IS AN IH REFRIGERATOR FILLED WITH
YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE.
Mike
I also do not have a phone in my shop.......Shop time is my time.  If
someone needs to talk to me bad enough they know where to find
me........and
don't show up in good clothes either.  LOL

--=_alternative 0066682A8625714E_=

a refrigerator is big enough...or are they like buildings...always too
small for everything you want to put in them.   Yes, I want to leave
to a builder the parts that he knows best...and I might have to end up
doing twice if I did it!!</font>
with 14' side walls and overhead doors at each end.   I will keep
in mind the vapor barrier.  Had a phone in my shop in Texas.  Spend
too much time responding to sales calls....but then I would get a call
from "she who must be obeyed" about what I wanted for supper
from town (as if I really had a choice) and I was glad I had a phone.
Maybe caller ID on the phone in the shop!!</font>
the floor...particularly when I will work (until I retire) in the shop
only occasionally?  Sure don't want it to freeze up also...any problems.
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240<br>
308-865-8535<br>
308-865-8722 fax<br>
hardestyll at unk.edu</font>
do it yourself"<br>
Most pole barn builders work pretty cheap.<br>
As some of you know I make my living as a  Building Contractor so
I know a<br>
little bit about this building stuff.    Karl can tell you about
his Arch<br>
building.   :-)<br>
Basic rule of thumb........Always build the building twice as long as it's<br>
width.  This gives you the best use of space.<br>
My suggestions  ( now remember I live in Wisconsin)<br>
Your shop  area should be at least 30' wide .  Ceiling 12' high<br>
Insulate the shop and put in either "in floor heat", with the
heat source<br>
located outside of the shop, or a sealed combustion heater.  You never
want<br>
to paint etc...in a shop with open flame.<br>
It doesn't hurt to have an airconditioner for the summer either.  :-)<br>
Put plastic or other vapor barrier under your concrete floor.<br>
If you can, put in an I-beam across the shop for a trolley and chain hoist.<br>
Sure makes all of that tractor splitting and engine pulling easier.<br>
I have everything in my shop on wheels so that I can wheel everything out
of<br>
the way and it makes pressure washing the floor a lot easier.<br>
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE SHOP IS AN IH REFRIGERATOR FILLED WITH<br>
YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE.<br>
Mike<br>
I also do not have a phone in my shop.......Shop time is my time.  If<br>
someone needs to talk to me bad enough they know where to find me........and<br>
don't show up in good clothes either.  LOL<br>
</tt></font>