[Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storage building for Farmall Tractors

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Wed Apr 12 11:27:09 PDT 2006

John,  Thanks for the heads up.  Always happy to learn from the
experiences from others.   It seems it all to easy for sleazy contractors
to change names of their business and then go and take advantage of other
people.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

John Junkroski <jpjunk at mc.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
04/11/2006 06:19 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Only Slightly off topic: Shop and Storage building for
Farmall Tractors

Larry,

While I would agree with Mr. Umland about the savings of doing
whatever finish work you can, I feel I must caution anybody
considering this kind of job NOT to hire any "local boys" who happen
to need the work. The "appropriate skills" are not the only required
qualifications.

I do not think I am an un-sophisticated person. I hold several
university degrees and have successfully negotiated the sale/purchase
of several homes and other parcels of real estate. I spent a career
negotiating contracts, and built a 24 X 35, cathedral ceiling great-
room onto my home, doing all the flooring and interior finishing myself.

I made the sad mistake of hiring a local boy to build a pole barn/
workshop on the basis of one informal reference. He bought much of
his material at Menards, as I could have done, but unfortunately, he
hired his crew out of the local saloon, where he apparently conducted
all his business and spent most of his days. Some days they showed up
at noon, some weeks they showed up not at all.

When we signed the contract he told me we could have the building up
in 11 days.

Eleven months later, after consulting two lawyers, I got the building
finished. We couldn't get the final papers notarized because he had
no identification; his drivers license was being held by the court.

Fortunately for me, most of the subs he hired (to do the concrete,
electrical, excavating, etc.) were honest and competent, so the final
product is minimally serviceable, but the finish is poor and a whole
lot of things had to be re-done. What was supposed to be my
retirement present to myself, and the place where I could work on all
my projects, turned into a nightmare.

Along the way I had a lien placed against the title of my home,
because he had not paid for materials.

All things considered he was a very lucky crook; I don't own a gun.

Please, do yourself a favor. Get several references from people who
have COMPLETED projects. Get several credit references,  talk to
banks, suppliers, sub-contractors, etc. Go out and look at buildings
he has completed and talk to the owners. If there is the slightest
doubt, RUN!

There are hundreds of good contractor/builders out there, and just
enough sleaze-bags to require caution.

John

--=_alternative 00655D0F8625714E_=

 Always happy to learn from the experiences from others.   It
seems it all to easy for sleazy contractors to change names of their business
and then go and take advantage of other people.</font>
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240<br>
308-865-8535<br>
308-865-8722 fax<br>
hardestyll at unk.edu</font>
Shop and Storage building for        Farmall
Tractors</font></table>
While I would agree with Mr. Umland about the savings of doing  <br>
whatever finish work you can, I feel I must caution anybody  <br>
considering this kind of job NOT to hire any "local boys" who
happen  <br>
to need the work. The "appropriate skills" are not the only required
qualifications.<br>
I do not think I am an un-sophisticated person. I hold several  <br>
university degrees and have successfully negotiated the sale/purchase  <br>
of several homes and other parcels of real estate. I spent a career  <br>
negotiating contracts, and built a 24 X 35, cathedral ceiling great- <br>
room onto my home, doing all the flooring and interior finishing myself.<br>
I made the sad mistake of hiring a local boy to build a pole barn/ <br>
workshop on the basis of one informal reference. He bought much of  <br>
his material at Menards, as I could have done, but unfortunately, he  <br>
hired his crew out of the local saloon, where he apparently conducted  <br>
all his business and spent most of his days. Some days they showed up  <br>
at noon, some weeks they showed up not at all.<br>
When we signed the contract he told me we could have the building up  <br>
in 11 days.<br>
Eleven months later, after consulting two lawyers, I got the building  <br>
finished. We couldn't get the final papers notarized because he had  <br>
no identification; his drivers license was being held by the court.<br>
Fortunately for me, most of the subs he hired (to do the concrete,  <br>
electrical, excavating, etc.) were honest and competent, so the final  <br>
product is minimally serviceable, but the finish is poor and a whole  <br>
lot of things had to be re-done. What was supposed to be my  <br>
retirement present to myself, and the place where I could work on all  <br>
my projects, turned into a nightmare.<br>
Along the way I had a lien placed against the title of my home,  <br>
because he had not paid for materials.<br>
All things considered he was a very lucky crook; I don't own a gun.<br>
Please, do yourself a favor. Get several references from people who  <br>
have COMPLETED projects. Get several credit references,  talk to  <br>
banks, suppliers, sub-contractors, etc. Go out and look at buildings  <br>
he has completed and talk to the owners. If there is the slightest  <br>
doubt, RUN!<br>
There are hundreds of good contractor/builders out there, and just  <br>
enough sleaze-bags to require caution.<br>
John<br>
</tt></font>