[Farmall] Farmall Super M Axle Leak

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 11 05:53:34 PDT 2006

I had the same problem with my super M. There is a seal on the axle that
can be relatively easily changed. You need to remove the wheel hub,
clean any rust and junk off the axle shaft, and pull the outer cap.
Behind that is the paper gasket 48950D, a felt washer 45085D, and the
actual seal that sits in the axle housing 360457R91. You have to dig the
old seal out with an ice pick or something and then carefully tap the
new one in. Take note of which face is out on the old one. If you damage
the paper gasket, just make a new one out of an old file folder or
"Pendaflex" folder - the material isn't critical. Nor is the felt washer
(which is there to keep grease out of the seal area, not keep
transmission fluid in the axle, and the grease is mainly to keep dirt
out of the axle housing). The key item is the axle seal. If you can read
the manufacturer's part number on the old seal, you can probably get a
replacement through NAPA or a local bearing dealer cheaper than at Case
IH. (I don't have any Case IH dealer within 100 miles, and the shipping
charges on the seal are more than the cost of the item, so I am forced
to seek substitutes for that kind of thing.)

When you remove the old seal, some lubricant will run out, unless you
have the tractor tipped up some. Or else just catch it in a bucket and
pour it back in after you are done. Naturally, you will want to check
the bearing, clean up the cap

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy. -James Madison, fourth US president (1751-1836)