[Ford-ferguson] 1952 fuel tank

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Apr 11 04:40:05 PDT 2006

Chuck's advice is good, but you can also get gas tank sealer kits from
your local motorcycle dealer, JC Whitney <www.jcwhitney.com>, Eastwood
<www.eastwoodco.com> and others. Prices vary, but POR tends to be on the
high side.

As to cleaning the gunk out first, that is another story. What I do is
put a couple of 2' lengths of heavy chain inside the tank, put in a
gallon or so of soapy water, and seal every opening. Then I strap it to
a tractor rear that has been raised off the ground and let the tractor
run in first gear for a half hour or so. That pretty well gets all the
rust and crud loose. Some folks use gravel, old nuts and bolts, etc.,
but the chain has the advantage of being very easy to remove. You can
also put the tank inside a 55 gallon drum and roll it up and down you
driveway, but you may find that gets a little boring. :-) Also, I
suppose two strong people could shake it around, but that sounds to me
like too much work. After you get the soapy water out and flush the
tank, you need to dry it completely before using the sealer kits. Just
follow the directions.

Or you could buy a replacement tank.

As far as the carb settings, on my 2N, the main needle is turned out 5
turns for the initial setting, but your 8N may be different.

Mike

Chuck Kuecker wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>
>> Greetings to fellow ferguson owners.
>> I am new to owning a tractor and have the pains
>> of a rusty and sediment filled tank clogging up the fuel line every
>> hour requiring frequent draining and cleaning.
>> Is there any chance that these tanks are available in
>> poly now? It seems everything is made of plastic these days.
>>
>> also I am looking for the standard carb adjust settings for the float
>> screw and mix screw.
>>
>> any help appreciated
>>
>> Rick
>>

> I restore old Volkswagens - rusty gas tanks are very common. I've used a
> product from POR-15 - 'US Standard Fuel Tank Sealer" - to clean and seal
> the inside of the original gas tanks. Do a search on "POR-15 or got to
> http://www.por15.com/ - they sell a kit with all the materials needed to
> restore a tank. Once you remove the gunk and scale and seal the tank,
> you never have to worry about rust again - or having the tank rust
> through and leak. I've had success using JB Weld to fix tank leaks
> before using the sealer. On tank has been going for ten years now - no
> leaks, no sediment problems.
>
> Chuck Kuecker

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of
fighting a foreign enemy. -James Madison, fourth US president (1751-1836)