[AT] OT vehicle question?

Alan Riley arr44 at cox.net
Mon Apr 10 07:10:56 PDT 2006

Can't help you much here, farmer.  I've never owned a minivan
but I did drive them at work for a number of years before retiring.

The first one was a 1986 Dodge Caravan.  It was an absolute
piece of junk.  Had it belonged to me, I couldn't have afforded
to keep it on the road.  It was designed and built by Murphy
himself.

The second was a 1992 Dodge Caravan.  It actually turned out
to be a very troublefree vehicle and drove nice as well.

The last was a 1996 Ford Aerostar.  It was the best of the three.
It was larger and more comfortable to drive.  The only problem
I had was with the door locks sticking occasionally  -  graphite
helped but they still stuck sometimes.  The Aerostar did have
a tendancy to sway more in a crosswind than the smaller vans.
Also, the one I used had the 3.0 L engine - it was adequate but
if you want to tow even a small trailer, the optional 4.0L would
be a better choice.

One of the other guys drove an Astro of mid-90's vintage - he
didn't have any problem with it that I can recall.

Alan