[Steam-engine] Re:Water gauges

EJHottel at aol.com EJHottel at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 14:42:33 PDT 2006

A while back I tried a gauge glass with the red and white stripe
arrangenent, but It gave me a problem. On the Peerless the glasses are mounted  on each
side of the boiler and are separately visible from the operators  platforn by
peering under the crankshaft. Therefore the stripes must be on the  front side
of the glass, actually angled slightly outward. However when I am on  the
ground to one side or another of the engine I cannot see the level because I  am
looking at the stripes from the side. I tryed scraping off the white stripes,
and that helped, but I still find that there is not enough improvement to make
 the striped glass worth while for me, since it limits visibility from some
directions.

Jack Hottel
Peerless 50

-------------------------------1144532553

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>A while back I tried a gauge glass with the red and white str=
ipe=20
arrangenent, but It gave me a problem. On the Peerless the glasses are mount=
ed=20
on each side of the boiler and are separately visible from the operators=20
platforn by peering under the crankshaft. Therefore the stripes must be on t=
he=20
front side of the glass, actually angled slightly outward. However when I am=
 on=20
the ground to one side or another of the engine I cannot see the level becau=
se I=20
am looking at the stripes from the side. I tryed scraping off the white stri=
pes,=20
and that helped, but I still find that there is not enough improvement to ma=
ke=20
the striped glass worth while for me, since it limits visibility from some=20
directions.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Jack Hottel</DIV>
<DIV>Peerless 50</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>