[AT] OT vehicle question?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Apr 7 15:22:12 PDT 2006

The Astros are a nice vehicle, especially the all wheel drives. GM has
just stopped making them though so the ones out there in good shape will
probably command more money. Being based on the S series pickups they
share a lot of the same parts, and a couple of the same faults. They
have a tendency to leak coolant at the corners of the manifold (Fel-Pro
has a better gasket out for them now though) and the EGR vales get
carbon in them and stick open. That is cured by replacing the gasket on
it with one from Kleen-Screen.

On the Dodge Grand Caravans They are also not a bad vehicle. Just make
sure you get one that is 2000 or newer and that has the 3.3 in it. The
only problem with them was the transaxle if it didn't get serviced
properly. If one your looking at has over 50K on it ask if the transaxle
has been replaced. If not check the service records REAL close. If it
has been serviced using the Chrysler specific fluid and filter it is
probably OK. If you see receipts from Jiffy Lube or a similar place stay
clear, they tend to use Dexron With an additive that works but eats the
seals. They will get 20mpg easy with a LOAD in them (I averaged 22 even
in winter with lot's of idling). The company I worked for used Caravans
as our work vans and we regularly had 1/2 ton of crap in them for the
lottery machines. The Grand is the same vehicle just stretched for more
room. They do ride nice and the visibility is great. Plus they handle
good and are VERY easy to maneuver. Servicing isn't to bad except you
need to go underneath to change the rear plugs.

I would probably look for a used fleet vehicle to avoid some of the
headaches with past service history.

Steve Williams