[AT] Economy Jim Dandy

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Apr 5 08:43:23 PDT 2006

Ron Ellis is moderator of the photo archives and he has them on his own
site at:  http://www.homelandtractors.com/

Since he operates the photo archives totally with his own equipment,
Homeland is a pay-for-view site ($25 per year).  It used to be
completely free, but he has changed it in the past few months.  Of
course that has been a bone of contention among the users, but it's the
only way he could continue to do it.  I don't know what the current
membership of the group is, but at one time there were over 1500 members
talking about Power King tractors and related items.  There are
something in excess of 6000 pictures of repair techniques, paint
comparisons, unusual modifications, shows, manuals, and other related
items on the site.  The photo storage problems became prohibitive for
Yahoo, so Ron converted them to his equipment years ago.  The collection
is searchable, so you can find any particular topic fairly easily.
Search for "transmission" and you'll probably come up with a hundred or
more shots of rebuilds, including a couple series that I contributed on
manufacturing interlock slugs to replace those that are no longer
available.

FWIW, if you go to: www.powerkingtractor.com, you'll find the website of
Mission Manufacturing.  They have a network of several hundred dealers
who are still active in supplying parts for these orphan tractors, but
they do major business selling to individuals, also.  The new items for
these tractors that are for sale on eBay are basically from people who
are in the "network" of dealers.

Collectors basically hit a few shows each year -- Hickory, Arden,
Florida Flywheelers, Portersville.  The Hickory show in mid-May and the
August Portersville show (first weekend in August) are the biggest for
these tractors each year.  As a matter of fact, I would urge you to make
plans for attending the Portersville show with your JD.  The feature
tractor of the show this year is "Garden Tractors" and we're expecting a
major turnout of PK owners -- up from the 20 or so that normally turn
out.  As small as the Portersville show is, it's a good one, and it
draws PK owners from the Mississippi to the east coast.

You gotta get in touch with Stan Wentworth (AKA The Old Gaffer) up in
Michigan.  He makes his living buying and selling nothing but used
Economy, Power King, and Jim Dandy related parts and equipment.  He'll
have attachments and parts for your JD that you just can't find anywhere
else.  As I said in a previous post, I'm spending a weekend this month
doing nothing but organizing my PK paper, scanning the items I don't
already have in digital form, and burning this year's CD of the "PK
Archives".  I'll be at the Hickory show and also at Portersville and
I'll have the CD available for anyone who wants it.  There is also a CD
available from a member of the list who is currently inactive (his house
burned down in January) that includes IPL's on all the tractors and
attachments that were built since around the mid-60's.

Larry