[AT] OT Heating with wood

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Sep 29 20:18:58 PDT 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 02:06 pm, Easley, Greg wrote:

> My house is about as easy to heat as a tobacco barn.  On $1/gallon
> propane it took about $400/month
> to stay halfway comfortable during cold weather.  With the two wood
> burners I only use propane for hot
> water, which cuts my usage down to less than 400 gallons/year.  I figure
> I've more than payed for the
> stainless liners by what I've saved on propane over the last three
> years, and it's nice and toasty
> inside instead of just bearable.  Keeping the wife happy is worth a lot
> of $$$.

I think some list members have just the tool to solve your problem.    Though
I'm not going to touch any arguments of which type of bulldozer you need.

Seriously, at those prices you should be thinking hard about tearing down and
re-building, or just moving to a modern house.

There is a rich person up here in MN who's year (not month!) heating and
cooling bill was under $100 for his manson.   Now he is CEO of a SIP
(Structural insulated panel) company, and he put in extra money for a ground
source heat pump, and specified the best windows, all of which might not be
worth it for you.   Something to think about though everytime that bill
comes.   I wonder what he pays now, this was 5 years ago, but electric hasn't
gone up too much so far.