[AT] OT Heating with wood

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Sep 29 15:44:48 PDT 2005

	There will be an awful lot of people that will jump in and
burn wood this year that have no experience with it. One
thing that many will learn the hard way is that it is
imperative that they check with their insurance company
first. Many insurance companies will not even tolerate a
wood stove being installed let alone not pay if it is not
to code. Some policies go void the minute you carry it into
the house. My insurance company does a little better than
that. They just want to know if you have one and that it is
a UL approved unit. There is no "code" on such things here
other than new construction but many towns have codes.
	I retired a large stove some years ago, that I had built,
due to the UL requirement. It worked great for a good
number of years but was uninsurable. It was made of an old
275 gal. furnace oil tank I acquired and was surprised how
heavy it was empty I got to checking it and instead of the
normal stuff it was made with about 1/8" step plate with
the grid on the inside. I had a concrete block stove room
with a concrete floor and a metal ceiling to put it in. I
mounted it on very short legs and put a stove pipe outlet
in the center of the top. I cut a 4 1/2" hole in the top of
each end a couple of inches down from the top. I slid a
piece of 4" steel pipe through the top and welded it in
place. The pipe was a couple of feet longer than the 5'
tank. I cut a door in the side (not the end) that was 2'
tall and 42" wide. I welded a frame around the top and
sides of the opening made of 2" angle iron with the flat of
the angle facing out for a door to mate against. At the
bottom of the door opening I turned the angle iron so that
it made a 2" ledge to sit a door on. The door itself was
the piece of steel I had cut from the opening and it had an
angle iron frame around it. At the bottom of the door I
made two pieces of 5/8" rod sticking down about 6" but
curved. Those fit into two slightly oversized holes in the
angle iron ledge at the bottom of the opening. The door
could be just leaned out to check the fire or opened down
like an oven door. It could also be lifted completely off
and sat aside. The door was held shut by two iron levers
that worked like oversized turn-buttons and were spring
loaded so that they worked well hot or cold and held the
door tight. There were three air intake holes in the lower
front. One below the door and one on each side of the door
down low. They just had pivoting flap doors held with a
bolt and spring.
	I could get wood as long as 4' in there if I jockeyed it a
bit. I could open the door down and set a log on the door
that was 3' long and as large as almost 2' in diameter and
roll it into the stove (OK, I was younger then)   :-)    By
putting a big piece in first and filling in around it I
could build a fire that would hold (hold, not big heat) for
36 hours. Since the pipe was so close to the top all of the
heat and flame that went out the stove pipe opening passed
around that 4" steel pipe. On one end I mounted a 4"
squirrel cage blower that blew very hot air out around the
room in addition to all of that surface area of that big
tank.
	It was a great stove but I must admit that this pellet
stove with the glass door does look better. Of course the
big stove was hidden by a wall which is now opened up to
just a couple of 5"x5" rough sawn wood post in an 8' wide
by 7' tall opening which is framed with the same stuff.

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

Try my "Cheap Computer" email list at: