[AT] Happy tractor news

toma toma at risingnet.net
Thu Sep 29 13:45:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Grant Brians wrote:

>   I hope there will be enough clearance for my squash and beans, but I
> suspect it will only clear the shorter beans, not the squash. My Summer
> Squash at the home place right now are about three feet tall and growing and
> producing like gangbusters. I am crossing my fingers that we do not get a
> frost until Christmas like some years as then I might be able to survive this
> fall financially!

Glad to hear you are still doing some farming Grant.

My son Bob and I both got married about 10 years ago and for one reason or
another we have not done any farming since that time. We have started
raising registered  Shorthorns instead. Between the cattle and the wives'
horses we are going broke in the wintertime buying hay.

Bob has been off work lately and pulled out an old Farmall B that was
languishing in the briar patch up in back. It had used to run good but had
froze up from setting out. With a little help from Kroil he got her
unstuck and running good again.    He did a pretty good dupont restore on
it complete with decals and is getting ready to mount a belly mower on it.

We were lucky to pick up a IH McCormick 55W baler that had belonged to
a highly respected old time family here who had bought it new and used to
bale into a stack from shocks with it. The two brothers who farmed died
and the surviving brother had sold it off when they sold the ranch. We
were fortunate to get it for $200 and it came with the books and
everything. The only trouble is the motor had set with one cylinder and
the head full of water. Again thanks to Kroil we got her freed up. The
head is off now we are deciding which of 3 heads we have to clean up and
put on her. Bob has her painted up like new. If paint will make her bale
hay we are all set.

Hopefully I will get some oats in this fall and next year this time we
won't be buying hay. That is guarenteed profit from farming, hard to beat.

Tom Armstrong
San Gregorio, CA