[AT] OT Heating with wood

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Sep 29 11:38:16 PDT 2005

Charlie,

I asked my local fireplace shop several years ago the same question you are
asking and they told me the same thing Greg has told you; that is, to meet
code I would have to have a steel liner inside the flue.

Since I have a pretty deep masonry hearth (and am also cheap) I decided to
just set the wood stove on the hearth completely out in front of the
fireplace opening and put a steel plate behind the stove to cover the
opening.  I drilled four holes in the mortar between the front bricks to
anchor the plate (of course, there was a circular hole in the plate for the
stovepipe from the stove to vent into).  This has worked well for me -
however, is it really safe or not may be open to question.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington