[AT] RE: No smoking please

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:09:16 PDT 2005

>   11.  No smoking please (Indiana Robinson)
>Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:39:50 -0500
>From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
>Subject: [AT] No smoking please
>To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
>
>	I had my AC-C at the museum show running the buzz saw and I was having
>some problems
>with scale in the gas tank. Some years ago it got a good bit of water in
>the tank. I'm
>not quite sure how since it was parked outside for years without any
>problems and has
>never gotten any water in it since. I suspected a bit of foul-play. When it
>had the water
>in it the inside of the tank developed a lot of rust and scale. I had been
>intending to
>pull the tank and shake it out but but always hate to take a painted
>tractor apart since
>it always chips up paint. That has just given me an excuse to procrastinate
>and I have
>become increasingly good at that. I have a small piece of rubber tubing in
>the tractor
>tool box and if some scale blocked the outlet I would take the sediment
>bowl off and hold
>the tube up against the outlet and blow it clear. Today,since I was at a
>show, of course
>it decided to really do a first rate job of clogging and wouldn't blow
>clear. I decided
>to pull the complete sediment bowl assembly and clean it out a bit. The
>problem was that
>I didn't have a container big enough to hold all of the fuel in the tank.
>After careful
>deliberation I said to hell with it and removed the fuel line and unscrewed
>the assembly
>from the tank (looking for nearby smokers first). I held a 1 gallon ice
>cream bucket
>under the thing as I took it out and I was actually able to remove it and
>get it screwed
>back in losing only about one half pint of gas (maybe $60 worth).   ;-)
>My ice cream
>bucket ended up with about 2 tablespoons of scale in it and about 3 quarts
>of gas. I sat
>it aside for a few minutes to settle out and then strained most of it back
>through a
>cloth and a funnel into my gas can. The tractor is now running trouble
>free. I will
>probably pull the thing again when I get it home but I will have a
>container large enough
>to hold everything. Then I can take time to flush it out better. There does
>not appear to
>be a stand pipe in this tank but I may put one in it while I have it apart.
>	There were not a lot of "special" tractors at this show, mostly the
>regular tractors
>used here in the midwest for general farming. One I found interesting was a
>Massey Harris
> [...]
Definetly rig a standpipe in your tank even if you do clean it.  I had the
same problem with the F-20 when I had to temporarilly replace the fuel bowl
with a standard pipe nipple.  The bowl has a built in stand pipe.  The
nipple allowed every little piece of funk in the tank into the plumbing
where it caused no end of problems.  I had open it up to clear the pipe
until someone pointed out the lack of a standpipe.  After poking around a
little for something to use as a standpipe I discovered that a BIC pen was
just the right size to tightly slide into the pipe nipple.  I cut the pen
tub off so that it was about 1" above the bottom of the tank.  I ran this
setup for quite awhile and didn't have any more problems.
BTW Seems like I saw someone advertising the truck bed liner material by
painting an old Ford tractor with it at the IN State Fair a few years ago.