[Steam-engine] Tod Engine Open House Report

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Sat Sep 17 19:06:32 PDT 2005

Our first open house at the Tod Engine Heritage Park went off without a hitch today.  We had about 50 visitors, several were friends and supporters and many were familiar with this engine when it was in operation.

Dave Rotigel, one of the origianl volunteers who helped diamntle the engine in 1996, came up from Pittsburgh with his 18 HP Galloway hit and miss engine.  He set it up by the front entrance and it ran all day filling the air with the sounds of running machinery.

On of the visitors we had was a stationary engineer who operated the Tod engine for one week when the regular engineer was on vacation.  Another man worked on the 24" round mill which the engine drove and gave me a difinitive date of August, 1979 as the last time the engine was operated.

Two visitors worked at Wean United, successor to the William Tod Company and remembered machining replacement parts for rolling mill steam engines.

The highlight of the day was a visit by Fred and David Tod, grandsons of William Tod.  This was quite special for me to see them both since their family and the products of that family has been a focus of my life for several years.

I didn't get a chance to take many pictures but the few that I did get I've added to the webshots site.  Follow this link to the Open House album. http://community.webshots.com/album/453467954hKVcnD

We are definately having another open house next year, tentatively set for September 16.  It was great to meet so many people who have had a connection with this engine, and to learn so much about her as well.

It was a very good day!

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Foundation
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH  44505
330-728-2799
www.todengine.org

William Tod Co. 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Rolling Mill Engine
Historic Mechanical and Materials Engineering Landmark