[AT] 50% OT: Corn furnaces

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Mon Sep 12 21:22:26 PDT 2005

I can't speak directly to the corn furnace project, but I do have a wood
burning boiler that pumps hot water to the forced air plenum in the house
and it has been most satisfactory.  It just started leaking this last season
after nearly 20 years, the furnace is at a local welding shop now getting
repaired.  If the repair doesn't hold up I'll almost certainly buy another
new unit.  Prices run about what you mention.

As part of your equation, make sure you don't hose yourself on insurance for
the unconventional furnace.  Or keep real quiet about what you've done, if
you want to stay under the radar.  A good slice of my savings went toward
increased insurance as I placed the furnace in an unheated but attached
garage.   Unattached or outside they would have put up with, but I like the
waste heat providing a warmer garage for me and also I don't have to go
outside to fuel the thing up.

Corn burners have been out for some time now, I expect the technology is
pretty good.  A lot handier than wrestling the wood, but that's about the
only exercise I get these days, LOL.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, Minnesota USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.