[Farmall] running a Farmall H on ethanol

CDHORN at aol.com CDHORN at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 15:20:08 PDT 2005

I'm not sure about your  "H", but  I have seen problems with ethanol.  It has
primarily been in air-cooled  small engines. In my lawn vacuum with a Briggs
engine, I used  some from my neighbor and it backfired as soon as I throttled
it back.  My  neighbor’s lawn tractor does the same thing.  As soon as put in
non-oxygenated, the problem goes away.
I've also had problems with it in a  1988 Lincoln with fuel injection.  On
two occasions on hot summer days the  car has stalled.  Once in Wisconsin I had
to get it towed because it was on  the interstate.  As soon as I filled it
with new gas it was fine.  In  South Dakota I had to sit and let it cool down
before I could go on.  You  can get non-oxygenated regular there which the local
Midas shop said to  try.  I had no more problems on the rest of the trip.  He
said he had  had about 6 or 8 people in that day with the same problem.
My other neighbor has had severe  running problems with it in his Corvair.
(Air-cooled)  The Corvair Club  folks say not to use it.
I bought a new Stihl chainsaw a few  years back in the dealer told me not to
use ethanol.  A small engine repair  guy told me that ethanol was the best
thing that ever happened to his  business.
I used two tanks in my snowmobile and  on the second tank, the chrome peeled
off the lining of one of my  cylinders.
I've run it in old Suburbans with no  apparent problems except I don't get
quite as good of mileage.
If you have a tractor that is prone to  "vapor lock" I think ethanol will
make it worse.  Other than that, you may  only see a slight loss of power.
Clark
F-20