[AT] Help--sickle grinders

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Sep 2 19:52:17 PDT 2005

On 2 Sep 2005 at 20:43, carl gogol wrote:

> Sickle mower sharpener is a stone that has the same angle V as the shape
> between the blades.  I remember my dad buying a new one from Sears that had
> a mechanism for clamping the bar assembly with enough motion to do 2 or 3
> sections before it had to be loosened and moved to the next 2 or 3 sections.
> That went in the junk pile after one use as it was too slow.   Big strong
> farmer could sharpen a 7' knife assembly just by holding them free hand.  By
> the time I was 16 or so, I could too.  Today, I would need the small boy to
> steady the far end to do a good job at the ends.

	Today I find that a small disc grinder works nicely with the sickle laid on a pair of
sawhorses. I often touch up a few sections with the sickle still in place. I also use one
to to touch up the ledger plates at a slight angle if they stick past the guard enough. I
only do that if the plates are rounded off a lot from wear.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA