[AT] One of two things I like about the list and a fuel consumption question for the list

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri Sep 2 00:02:35 PDT 2005

I have learned a lot about different areas through the list. I feel that
agricultural discussions such as the Canola GROWING discussion Ralph Goff
started help me understand more about the challenges and potentially useful
information from other areas. As a farmer and curious person, I really
appreciate these sorts of posts. The other posts I like relate to the actual
subject of the list (antique farm equipment and the comraderie associated
with it.)
    I fear that we have again been flirting with straying too far from the
list with the posts about gasoline politics and related subjects, though. I
hope that we can stop the anti-environmental inaccurate info about why there
have not been refineries built in the last 25 years (because it is more
profitable for the large companies to close refineries and raise refinery
margins than to build more capacity given the high value of the dollar until
recently and the judgements of the legal liabilities of building in the US.)
The refiners have been offered looser environmental regulations in many
cases and still chose to close the refineries they closed.... This is
proven.
    Now a request that is ON-Topic. I have three antique trucks (1945 IH,
1946 Studebaker and 1957 GMC) that have either two speed rear-ends or
brownies. I have always liked these solutions for providing better mileage
when not heavily loaded and maintaining pulling ability. Now while their
power level is a fraction of the current V8 and 6 cylinder engines many on
the list use to pull their trailers with, they do a creditable job of using
the power they have. I have wanted to use this concept on my pickup truck
since before I bought it new in 1986. So here is the specific request:

Could we start a discussion on how it could be possible to install either a
brownie or a two speed into heavy duty pickup trucks (such as my 1986 F250
diesel) to provide higher mileage when unloaded and preserve the trailer
pulling ability for our tractors?

Thank you all.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California
p.s. I am looking forward to receiving the two Farmalls I am bartering
for.... More info and questions when they arrive.