[AT] Metal tool - Railroad Rail

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Sep 30 18:07:27 PDT 2005

Thought I would pass along an inexpensive tool tip that has worked well for
me. I was digging through my parts stash in the barn today and ran onto
several JD PTO Shields that were in sad shape but recoverable. Now I don't
remember what I originally was looking for but spent the afternoon
straightening out all the bends and dings on several of these valued
shields. All now look pretty close to original and from 5' to 10' away
probably would pass a critical inspection as new. Good enough for government
work anyway.  No Correct Police allowed!  :-) Even found one I needed for an
early JD 50 and its now mounted on the tractor, also a styled JD A, B & G
version (now have a few extras), one that is now near perfect for a styled
JD D and a couple shields I don't recognize yet.  In the future I will post
some pictures to see if anyone on the list recognizes them. Since I don't
own a styled D and don't expect to ever own one I'll probably put it on
eBay. I've never purchased a reproduction shield but I know these are
original and are made with heavy steel. Don't know what gauge metal the
repro's are.

Sometime/somewhere in the past I picked up about a two foot section of RR
Rail that really comes in handy when working with sheet metal, etc. Has
enough mass to be functional but is easily lifted into the vise or clamped
to the bench. The slight round to the top of the rail is really helpful but
the long straight edge is helpful too.

Now, what was it I was looking for to begin with?

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com