[AT] Visiting ATIS members during 9/18 trip

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 30 07:05:34 PDT 2005

Barbara and I certainly enjoyed the hospitality of the Willers and the Dotsons during our 9/27-28 trip to Ohio to pick up a D14 bought from an AC enthusiast in New York.  He delivered it to the Willers the previous week when he attended an AC sale in Indiana.  George had rearranged his shed (Allis, Case, Ford, IHC H and M, plus many Cubs) to make room for one more.
Yes, George, our loading was well done.   I never made any adjustments; that is saying quite a bit when one travels 690 miles and includes Kentucky interstates (they are rough).
After enjoying Marilyns good cooking and a nice overnight stay, we hit the road for the Dotsons.  We had toured Georges shops (full line for wookwork and full line for metal work and his shed full of tractors) last year when we stopped in for Sunday brunch on our return from Canandaigua, NY show.   Our visit at Gene Dotsons included visiting with Gene, brother Gary and his wife Regina and a tour of Genes farm, shed full of Case tractors plus good looking Maule airplane, airstrip, White combine and many implements.  Then on to brother Larry and wife Barbara Dotsons where we toured their  shed full of IHC Cubs, his exceptional restored Cockshut, and several other tractors and implements.   Larry has several projects in process including an Allis G restoration for some guy way down in GA, and he still works full time.
Thank You Barbara for the good written directions for getting back to I-65 while also avoiding Dayton.  Those directions also took us through West Liberty where we noticed a couple sitting out front of a store eating icecream cones.  Wooohh!   $1.00 for a huge scoop of delicious icecream.   (Note to Larry Goss, store was on southwest corner of intersection).
We had gone about five miles when Gene phoned and said Barbara had noticed the trailer brake lights were not working when we left their place.  Sure enough; I wiggled the plug and they worked ok the rest of the trip.   Thank You again Barbara.
The rest of the trip home went well.   However, I did drive on the left side of the road through much of KY, because of the right side being so rough.   I do not like doing that but this was middle of the night and our trailer has five lights across the rear.
Time did not permit a visit to Gary and Regina's to tour their collection of Leaders and an exceptional restored Cockshut; maybe next year.
Herb