[AT] Need more tractors

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Sep 29 20:07:59 PDT 2005

Farmer:

It is good to hear you still have your sense of humor after all the
travails. I haven't been successful at that lately.

If you are interested in making your own three point hitches for your JD's,
here is a site that you might find helpful.  However, IMHO all the homemade
three point hitches I have seen have not been built heavy enough but it
really depends on the intended usage. The disadvantage of aftermarket
hitches on the JD A, B, & G is that the top link will not be active,
therefore no draft control is available. And the JD A's and B's are a bit
light in the front so there is a limitation on how much implement weight is
safe. The styled JD G maintained the cast iron front frame throughout its
model life and is a bit heavier in the front than the pressed steel front
frame on the later A's and B's.

When JD announced the 800 Series Hitches in 1953 they did not recommend
using them on the late A's and B's due to the light front end, although many
have been used successfully with some limitations.

Here is a link to some home made and commercial aftermarket three point
hitches for JD's:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/3point.html

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290