[AT] OT Heating with wood

Easley, Greg EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:06:46 PDT 2005

My first thought was to install a stub liner like Mike mentioned.
Checked with a buddy on the FD
and learned about several major problems with doing that.  One is that
it's likely to cause draft
problems which will (2)lead to excessive creosote buildup in the
chimney, which will (3)lead to a flue
fire, which will (4)lead to the house burning down, which will (5)leave
you living in a cardboard box
because (6)your insurance company won't pay the claim when they discover
that your stove wasn't installed
to code.

My house is about as easy to heat as a tobacco barn.  On $1/gallon
propane it took about $400/month
to stay halfway comfortable during cold weather.  With the two wood
burners I only use propane for hot
water, which cuts my usage down to less than 400 gallons/year.  I figure
I've more than payed for the
stainless liners by what I've saved on propane over the last three
years, and it's nice and toasty
inside instead of just bearable.  Keeping the wife happy is worth a lot
of $$$.

Greg