[AT] OT Heating with wood

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Sep 29 09:48:28 PDT 2005

With the price of fuel I'm thinking of going back to good old wood heat.
The easiest and cheapest way for me to do that is to place a wood stove that
I have (modern type slow burn built of of steel plate and lined with fire
brick) in front of and partially in my fireplace.

I need opinions on the best way to connect the pipe from the heater too the
damper opening in the fireplace.  My thinking is to make a plate to fit in
the place of the damper with a square to round adapter from the plate to the
stove pipe.   I don't want kreosote dripping into the fireplace and I sure
don't want a chimney fire.  Any ideas?

If I can get this rigged up cheap enough maybe my tractor can haul some wood
this winter.  If it's going to cost a lot to make it work I may be better
off paying for fuel.

Charlie