[AT] ford 4000 diesel - Making postr holes...

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Sep 20 14:41:27 PDT 2005

	It is always fun to hook into an old tire or piece of junk buried in the ground with the
post hole auger and watch it quickly screw itself into the ground...   :-)   Makes you
wish for a reverse on the PTO.
	These days I just cut post holes. I find a clean section of air with no defects and cut
square post holes out of that with the chainsaw. I then just take them to where I need
them and drive them into the ground.    ;-)

	On a serious note... there have been a number of injuries from guys "piling on" to add
down pressure to the auger. I have a picture around here that I saved from a magazine of
a guy standing next to a working post hole auger while talking to a reporter. The guy's
Tee shirt got into the PTO shaft and it was ripped from his body (he was very lucky) and
he was standing there with his shirt wrapped around the shaft and he was still completely
unaware that it had happened. The photographer was shooting rapid fire, click, click
click... and had a whole series of shots of the event.
	Old tractors may be a laid back hobby but accidents can happen very quickly... One of
the guys at the museum show was a bit sheepish after he drove up on a stack of lawn
chairs that were in front of his right rear wheel when he fired up. It was a very nice
looking IHC 450 wheatland and it was not damaged but I'm not sure how well the lawn
chairs fared.   :-)    I think his ego may have been dinged too.   :-)

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA