[AT] Re:Need help with internet and computer

Larry Mason lcmason at uslink.net
Sun Sep 4 21:15:29 PDT 2005

The first thing I would do is check to see that the keyboard cable is
securely attached to the computer. If it is, turn off the computer, take the
cable out and inspect for bent pins or other damage. Reattach cable and
restart computer. If it still doesn't work, take the keyboard from your
other computer and attach that. If things work now, it was the keyboard.(I
just reread and the other computer was a laptop -- hopefully you have some
other keyboard)  The same things can be used to check the mouse. Another
thing to check is the diagnostic lights on the back of recent Dell
computers. These are above the connectors for the mouse and keyboard. All 4
lights green mean everything is ok. Various combos of green and yellow
indicate various problems. There are also Dell diagnostics. Start the
computer and when the dell logo displays, immediately press F12 (of course
if the keyboard doesn't work at this time this will not work) Highlight boot
to utility partition and choose one of the tests. I think that you can get
to safe mode by pressing F8 after the BIOS messagesand before the Windows
logo.
Don't know if any of this will help with your computer,but maybe it will be
a start. Good luck
Larry Mason
Hackensack MN