[AJD] 1946 A Block and Head

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 22:19:30 PDT 2005

   As some of you may remember,  a while back I
purchased a Slant Dash A,  555xxx serial number
range..  most probably would have either left this one
in the brush,  or parted it out.  Not me.

   The tractor wound up needing a block and head.
Actually just a head,  but the block needs to be bored
and sleeved,  and for that money It appeared to be
easier to find another block..

    I asked the question about block and head
interchangabilty,  Book (my book anyway) shows A2324R
as the only block and A2325R as the only head
avaliable for that cast framed styled tractors.

    I bought a 'good 045 over block'  on Ebay several
months ago.  I griped at the seller when it arrived
for poor packaging and damage to the head studs from
shipping.  Well,  when I tried to fit the pistons to
it the block had been dropped hard enough in shipping
that it oblonged the #2 cylinder at the crankcase
end..  Thanks UPS..

    Now for the head,  I forget where it came from,
but was told that the A4226R head would fit,  and that
this head was in fact being removed from a tractor of
the same year as the one I was working on.  Sorry
Charlie,  not even close..   As I now know the hard
way,  the A4226R definately does not go with that
block..  Oh sure it might slide on the studs...

    So I am in need of a GOOD A2325R head..  The good
news is I seem to have more of the A4226R heads than I
know what to do with..

            Chris