[AT] A favorite tool and sharpening stuff

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Sep 3 08:02:06 PDT 2005

	One of my favorite tools is diamond hone that I bought last year. All too often when you
buy something that promises to be great it turns into a disappointment. That has not been
the case with that hone. I am pleased with it every time I use it. As I recall it was
around $40 but well worth it.
	My sharpening philosophy is a little different than some folks. I am not after the glass
smooth cutting edge of a razor that many covet and get all hung up on. When I sharpen I
want steel to be removed with as few strokes as possible. I don't want to "wear" the
steel off of the edge, I want to "cut" it off and cut it off quickly. I don't get into
spending hours puttering around sharpening a tool like some guys, I want to get it done
"right now" and get back to actual work. I have to. That diamond hone does that very
well. Of course I bought the most coarse hone I could find.
	Let me say right up front that I do have an extensive background with sharpening and
using cutting tools of all sorts. I have done woodworking for many many years. I worked
during the early 1960's in a factory "cutting" department which was also sometimes called
"hand cutting" department perhaps called that because most of us ended up cutting a hand
badly while working there...   ;-)   We worked with cutting tools all day and sharpened
them frequently many times a day. The company was buying the blades so we didn't care how
fast we wore them out.  :-)   Later I owned a shoe shop for over 20 years and spent much
of my time cutting leather and rubber products using many speciality knives and rotary
cutters of different types. I owned and operated a sawmill and millwork shop for a number
of years and constantly dealt with saws, planer blades and other cutters. In the wood
shop I deal with the usual tools that are related. For many years I operated a part time
sharpening shop and sharpened about everything but carbide stuff.
	I want sharp tools but in a production environment the glass smooth edge is way over
rated. If you do any volume of work that tiny razor edge is gone very quickly and then
you are working with a basic sharp edge again. I am reminded of a fellow on a gardening
show one time that bought very expensive forged shovels (wish I could still find that
kind here) and insisted that you needed to sharpen them with a file about 6 to 8 times a
day. He got a very short life out of them and had the one he was using worn to a useless
nub. It was not "efficiency" as he indicated but unproductive"compulsion".  :-)
	Don't get me wrong. When I sharpen something like a plane iron I follow up with a finer
cut but most tools don't really need that to work very well. Many woodworkers like to use
a glass plate with a sheet of very fine sandpaper laid on it. I do a bit of that but
instead of a glass plate I just use the polished cast iron table of a table saw and 400
grit wet or dry automotive sandpaper.
	I once read a comment of a high quality, high volume professional woodworker that said
that one of the quickest indicators of an amateur woodworker (not meant derogatory) was
someone that insisted that a planer cut be absolutely glass smooth. He said that those
tiny longitudinal ribs that come from really tiny nicks in the blades are harmless and
they are what sandpaper was made for...   :-)
	Of course in woodworking the object being made is of little importance. The important
part is just making sawdust...   ;-)   ;-)
	Shops are different things to different people. While mine does help me relax I also
want it productive. Some folks use a shop to use up time. Most shop projects in magazines
are designed to consume as much time as possible. I like to putter at times but never to
just use up time. Some guys use a shop to hide from SWMBO...   ;-)   I don't have that
problem.
I just used that hone last week to touch up the sickle section that is mounted on the
round baler to cut the twine after it is wrapped around the bale.
--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA