OT - [AT] Gasoline $ another view

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Sep 2 17:16:34 PDT 2005

There are two things added to the fuel that they look for. One is a
trace chemical that shows if it is blended for winter use the other is
the dye. The colored dye is UV sensitive as well. That part of it will
go through the system and show up at the tailpipe. For a while after
they pulled the dye out there was a kind of grace period that was given
while the reserves of dyed fuels were used up. Then you were supposed to
run a tank of fuel with a cleaner in it that eliminated most of the dye
still in the system.

They test two ways. One is to shine a UV light into the tank neck. If
there is any glow from the fuel you better have a REALLY good reason.
Then they put a test strip on a stick and put that in the tank, that
looks for the chemicals that could neutralize the dye.
IF you get caught, you will have major problems, IF you have commercial
plates it is even worse.

Steve Williams