OT - [AT] Gasoline $ another view

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Fri Sep 2 08:41:18 PDT 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 10:08 am, LeRoy Price III wrote:

> We were just talking yesterday at lunch about VW diesels.  One of the guys
> was using some old Mecedes 300 diesels to drive to work in.  Now get this,
> he's using home heating oil.  Apparently, he has gas heat for the house and
> put a 300 gallon heating oil container outside.  As far as anyone knows
> he's converted to oil.  During the winter he said he mixes in Kerosine.
> Anyway, he said that the VWs get close to 50 miles to the gallon.  That
> true?

Home heating oil is a lot cheaper than diesel because there are no road taxes
on it.   Very illegal to run on road, though if you only drive offroad it is
legal.  (There must be someone on this list who buys off-road diesel for his
tractor)  They now put a red die in it, so that you can tell.  (If you know
what to look for)  They can sense the die after 7 fillups of on-road.
Apparently the police will stop all diesels leaving off-road rallies and
check the tanks- big fine if they find you were running off-road diesel in an
on-road vehicle.

The main difference between heating oil and diesel is the tax.   However I'd
be surprised if there weren't a few additives in diesel, and some better
filtering.   So it is no surprise that it works.

VWs get 50mpg.  If you have a golf tdi, and drive for milage you can get close
to 65mpg.  Other VWs have more drag and can't get quite that high.   VW
owners like to brag about getting 800 miles on a tank of fuel, which can only
be done if you drive for fuel milage.

If your roads are anything like the ones I drive on you will turn this guy in.
Not paying road tax is fraud.  He is not paying for the roads he is using.