[AT] Canola

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Sep 1 12:32:26 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Canola

>> That's exactly what I wanted to know.  As always, the bigger producers
>> who
>> can contract their crops (might not apply to you in Canada) and have on
>> farm
>> storage come out well ahead of the little guys.
> Everybody comes out ahead of the little guys Charlie but we have more
> fun...   ;-)   At
> least we get to use antique tractors and putter at it.   :-)
>
> --
> "farmer", Esquire
> At Hewick Midwest
>      Wealth beyond belief, just no money...

True, but the little guys here are fast disappearing and I think in not too
many years the single owner /operators like myself will just be gone. It
takes big acres and equipment with a lot of hired help and a long line of
credit to farm profitably nowadays here.
Thats the popular wisdom anyway.
Charlie, on farm storage is a fact of life  here and its true that keeping
grain in the bins for a year can pay off big dividends if the price does
raise later on. We have many options for pricing our grain. We can lock in a
price before the crop is even in the ground if we wish. Or gamble and just
store the grain in the bin un-priced and watch the daily prices. Theres
several other options too if you are into futures, basis , etc.  and such
like.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/