[Steam-engine] Wachs boiler update

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 13:37:27 PDT 2005

Rick, seems things are different in Montana to some extent, but not that
different. If I were in your shoes,
I think I'd say I "found" the boiler and didn't purchase anything! Yikes,
what a law!
     It's not the cheapest way to go, but we have adapted the attitude that
we will do whatever it takes to
get a safe boiler. In your case, it might be a new bottom fluesheet and
flues. In the case of the first boiler
I mentioned, it was an entirely new boiler, from scratch. We re-used the
base, grates, and firedoor. All the
rest was replaced. I can't say there weren't a few "blue moments" in this
process, and there were more than a
few "blue words", but in the end, we have an easy to operate boiler, we
don't have to worry about passing next
year's inspection, and the public can stand next to it without any of us
getting nervous. With your permission,
I'll attach a picture of Steve's brand new boiler and e-mail you direct. The
1500 "rockets" is a lot to both of us, but
it's not a lot of money in the steam hobby. Let's hope you get lucky, the
boiler gets fixed and passes all the tests,
and you can operate with peace of mind and have fun for years to come with
it! - Jim Mackessy