[AJD] anti freeze

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Tue Oct 18 04:30:03 PDT 2005

Frank,

They will not mix.  Water and antifreeze need to be mixed prior to being put
in a thermosiphon system.

I had a customer that I restored a John Deere D for.  He lives in southern
VA.  I delivered the tractor with straight water in the cooling system.  He
decided to drain the water and put in antifreeze.  He dumped the antifreeze
in first then the water.  He drove the tractor to town (about 4 miles)(the
tractor only goes about 3 MPH top speed) to fill the fuel tank. The tractor
overheated, it was running about 240 degrees.  He called me up, not very
happy like. I asked him to describe to me what he did.  I told him that he
needed to drain the cooling system and mix the antifreeze with the water
prior to putting it in the radiator.  The heavy antifreeze was laying in the
lower portion of the cooling system and retaining all the heat.  I also
explained the tractor doesn't have a water pump to help mix the antifreeze.

He drained the cooling system and mixed the antifreeze.  The tractor runs
much cooler now.

Lou