[AJD] anti freeze

JDNut at aol.com JDNut at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 18:46:17 PDT 2005

Interested parties??

I almost hate to prolong this thread, but both views may be materially
correct.  Putting antifreeze on top of water is one experiment, but water on top of
antifreeze would be a different experiment.  Given that the density of
ethylene glycol is 1.1 g/mL, while the density of water is 1.0 g/mL, putting the
denser ethylene glycol on top of water would probably mix faster by diffusion than
water on top of antifreeze, especially if the channels are narrow in the
radiator, etc.   Of course my true chemist colleagues would be glad to tell you
that biochemists know just enough chemistry and enough biology to be dangerous.
Some of my tractors spend their winter in the cold country, I premix 50-50
before putting it into my thermosiphon tractors just to be sure.

Take care, John Maxwell
Santa Maria CA