[AT] Ford 9N vs 2N vs 8N

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Mon Oct 24 08:34:00 PDT 2005

It doesn't really make any difference which one it is.  Just call them all
9Ns.  None of the production changes were made when the designation was
changed.  It's only the purists who make the distinction based on serial
numbers for their own reasons... but there's NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE to
define a tractor as one or the other!

The tubular radius rods were introduced during '44 production... so many
"2Ns" have forged ones.  The rubber covered steering wheel spokes were
discontinued during '41 production, so some '41s have plain spokes.  Who
knows when the dog leg mounting was changed?

There were changes made during the time the 9N was in production, and there
were changes made during the production of the "2N", but the only one that
defines a tractor as one or the other is the itty bitty "2N" stamped on the
front emblem... that is if the emblem is present and is the original one.

If you really have to know... just do as I have and refer to your '46 model
as a 9N and all kinds of "experts" will try to educate you, but will never
refer to the few very minor differences I'm aware of from my '41 model.

http://members.toast.net/gwill/album/Tractors/Shows/SCRAP%5F2002/SCRAP_2002_03.jpg

George Willer