[AT] Ford 9N vs 2N vs 8N

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Oct 24 07:32:33 PDT 2005

On 24 Oct 2005 at 12:08, rasmith4 at juno.com wrote:

> As I remember, there were several quick ways to tell the
> Ford 9N and the Ford 8N apart, such as:
>
> 9N
> 3 speed Tranny
> Foot pegs
> Clutch and left brake pedal on the left
> Right brake pedal on the right
>
> 8N
> 4 speed Tranny
> running boards
> Clutch on the left
> Both brake pedals on the right
>
> Now, how can I differentiate the 2N from these other two?
>
> Richard
> In Central NY

	You can't...   :-)   About all you can do is look up the
serial numbers...
	The only differences I know of between a 9N and a 2N
(later) is that the 2N's came out with the huge rivets in
the center of the rear hub and that they stamped a "tiny"
2N in the oval front medallion that says FORD. Any
medallion replacement voids that and many of the 9N rear
axles were replaced with the later 2N riveted axles which
were less prone to breakage. Our 9N never had an axle
replacement but so many of those poor things were
enormously overloaded beyond what they were designed for
that it seems a fair number did suffer breaks. Even many of
the attachments made by other companies and sold by Ford
were way too much to be hanging on such a small tractor.
	I have come to think like George Willer and consider all
of them 9N's. There more variations among some of the war
time production 9N's such as steel wheels and mag ignitions
(no battery) than between the 9N and the 2N.
	They were a great tractor for their size and that 2x14"
mounted plow used with the Ferguson system could plow rings
around many of the heavier and slightly more powerful
competitors most of which were limited to a mechanical lift
pull type plow. This was brought home to me again a few
years ago when I tried to have a plow day. We were just a
few guys but still had fun. The field had a lot of small
wet spots and one friend that was using a slightly souped
up unstyled John Deere A could really turn the dirt pulling
a 2x14" pull type Deere plow. He was shifted up and
throttled back to keep the dirt in the furrow and doing a
great job, BUT... That mechanical lift plow (which was what
the competition was using when the 9N's came out) was a
massive handicap. As easy as he was pulling that plow in
solid ground if I had been using the old 9N we owned when I
was a kid I could have out plowed him that day easy.
	Now I was using a pull type plow that day too but it was
hydraulic lift and at least I could "jog it up" when the
tires on the plow began to sink in a little extra. He could
not. I do not recall anybody in our area having a hydraulic
lift plow before about 1949 or 1950 except the mounted
plows on Fords, Fergusons and ACs. I'm sure some were
available before that but some "new fangled" notions took
off kind of slow here.   :-)
	List member Scott Pike was here that day and his WD AC had
a mounted plow and did very well too in those wet spots but
that unit was not on the market back when the 9N's came
out. Ford was definitely out in front. It is a shame that
they were still too close-minded to go into production on a
second model a little larger and with about 40 HP.
Companies like M&W made a lot of money selling kits to jack
up the HP on many of those because farmers wanted them but
could not buy larger ones.

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net