[AT] Some ads from the 10/15 Lancaster Farming

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sat Oct 22 15:56:49 PDT 2005

Farmer,

I have not installed an M&W clutch so I can't give a direct answer to your'
question re: the installation -

However, I did buy a Farmall H (with band brakes) some four or five years
ago that had an M&W clutch.  The clutch is a dry over-center design with
four asbestos clutch plates (or discs) that mate with machined metal
surfaces (something like the clutch plates/mating surfaces buildup in a late
model John Deere A or B).

The M&W literature I have on this clutch says it has the capacity to handle
twice the HP a Farmall can produce - I have no idea if that was true or not.
This literature - which I would call a factory sales brochure - also says
that the unit can be installed on a Super H or Super M (i.e., disc brake
tractors) in less than an hour and that the band brake tractors take a bit
longer.

Incidentally, the hand clutch on my H did not work.  The PO, because as he
said he could no longer get new or resurfaced clutch plates, simply took the
worn plates out and bolted the clutch halves together.  I happened to be in
Bates in Bourbon, Indiana earlier this year and they said they had the
plates for a hundred bucks a piece or four hundred bucks for one M&W clutch
unit.

Dudley Rupert
Snohomish, Washington