[AT] OT Ford 2600

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Fri Oct 21 16:14:55 PDT 2005

Decal-- comes from "Decalcomania" from the Greek to trace or copy.   Was
the original word that was shortened to "decal" to mean a transfer or
"copy"  of something  to put on something else.  Up in New England we
call 'em "dee ' cals"  too.   (Actually decalcomania is an old Native
American  word for "Hard to get'um straight and the bubbles out".)

I like the Native American term that pretty well describes the term
decalcomania.

Kinda like the term the bigger they are the harder they fall. The longer
they are the harder they are to get straight and bubbles out.

As a young man each product that went out the door of the company I worked
for had a decal applied, the kind used were first soaked in water and then
slid of the backing paper onto the object to be branded.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA