[AT] OT; Ford 2600

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Fri Oct 21 14:58:03 PDT 2005

Indiana Robinson wrote:

>On 20 Oct 2005 at 21:12, H. L. Staples wrote:
>

>>We are in the process of cleaning up for repainting our Ford
>>2600.
>>
>>Need and easy way to remove the vinyl decals .
>>
>>Have tried a heat gun, but a lot of sticky residue
>>

>remains.
>

>>Any shortcuts would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>H. L. Staples
>>

>	Hey H.L.:
>
>	Go to Wally World and buy a couple of cans of their
>cheapie Tech brand of spray carburetor cleaner. If you can
>lay it flat, lay a rag on the decal and spray the rag. It
>will hold the solvent on the decal longer. That stuff would
>eat the scum off of a bad TV show.   :-)
>
>	This reminds me of our Canadian friend at CUBFEST 2004 who
>said that up there they call them "deck'els"...   We just
>call them decals. Some of the boys in the deep south call
>them "deee'cals".   :-)

Decal-- comes from "Decalcomania" from the Greek to trace or copy.   Was
the original word that was shortened to "decal" to mean a transfer or
"copy"  of something  to put on something else.  Up in New England we
call 'em "dee ' cals"  too.   (Actually decalcomania is an old Native
American  word for "Hard to get'um straight and the bubbles out".)