[Steam-engine] Wachs boiler update

HISTMACHRY at aol.com HISTMACHRY at aol.com
Wed Oct 19 16:10:35 PDT 2005

Rick,

If this boiler was mine, or if I was hired to put the boiler back in service,
at a minimum I would do the following.

1.     Clean interior of all loose debris, and visually inspect the condition
of all surfaces.

 2.       Perform an ultrasonic thickness measurement of the shell, tube
sheets, and firebox sheets, and door hole ring.

3.    Calculate the working pressure

4.    Perform initial hydro, pressure based on calculated working pressure
and appropiate factor of safety.

5.     Remove all the tubes, clean interior, and visually inspect the
interior.

6.    Inspect the lap seam, this can best be done by radiography when the
tubes are     removed.

7.   If every thing is good, install the tubes, do a hydro, and fire it up!

At any step along the way, if things look bad, stop and revaluate the boilers
use.

A hydro in my opinion only tells me your boiler will hold water, that has
nothing to do with the integrity of the boiler and it's components. The
ultrasonic metal thickness measurement, done correctly, and even some basic
calculations can tell you a lot about the boiler. The riveted seam that is weeping may be
able to be caulked, however it may also be an indicator of another problem.

Robert Yuill