[Farmall] H oil filter problems

kbecker kbecke6 at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 12:15:12 PDT 2005

I am new to tractors. I bought a 1940 'H' about two weeks ago.
The previous owner could not get it started. I rebuilt the starter, gen and
carb.
I have been tuning it up troubleshooting small problems and changing fluids.
Sunday a week ago I changed the oil. I removed, inspected, and disposed of
the old oil filter BEFORE I had a new one.
(BIG MISTAKE) The old filter had no markings on it whatsoever.
Monday I went to my local IH dealer and purchased a 'long' filter.
When I tried to install the new filter I discovered it was to way to small.
Another trip back to the IH dealer to confirm that this is the filter
called for in the book.
The parts guy tells me there were only two filters used on H's long or
short, and since the long filter is to short.

Anyway it seems to me that the oil filter can was changed out some years ago.
The can installed now has a lid on the top and is about 2 inches taller and
1 inch wider than the large can.
I have an extra filter can that I could install but I like the one on there
now.
I have been looking in the books and searching the net for anything closely
resembling what is installed.
I was thinking that it possibly came off of another IH tractor, and M or
Super or something.
I cannot find anything that looks even close.
Anyone have and ideas or suggestions?

oh yeah.. the previous owner is of no help.

Thanks
Kenneth