[Steam-engine] wood bearings

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 05:29:59 PDT 2005

I'm glad that this subject came up.  As others have
pointed out, Cases use a Woolf valve as does my Huber.
 Brice hasd made a new block out of Delrin which
should work fine but I am planning to make a new one
from wood to keep as a spare.  I was thinking of using
hard maple.  Where does one get Lignum Vitae anyway?

--- James Mackessy <jmackess at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert;
>    I believe it was a Marsh gear, I know the Case
> guys will take me to task
> if I'm wrong,
> and I was told they came that way. This came up when
> a friend was working on
> one and
> asked me if I knew of a good plastic for a slider
> block. When I asked about
> the application,
> he told me he had a block of wood in the valve gear
> that needed replacement.
> I found him a
> source for the Lignum Vitae, as it compared very
> favorably to the plastics
> mechanically and
> is "original equipment" as far as we could tell.
> Perhaps the many Case fans
> who read this can
> comment as to my correctness or lack thereof on
> this.....Guys? ( and Gals
> too, Dianne !)

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN