[Farmall] F20 is alive!

Inman, Timothy P timothy.p.inman at intel.com
Mon Oct 17 10:37:58 PDT 2005

Well, this was a big weekend.  After several years of scrubbing,
blasting, fixing, painting and re-assembling, my grandfathers 1938 F20
roared back to life!  What a great experience driving it around the yard
for the first time (I was very young when it was mothballed some 40
years ago).

I do have a couple questions though.  The oil gauge is completely
pegged.  It drops to zero when the engine is off.  After cranking, it
rises to full reading in about 10 seconds.  Is this normal?  I am
concerned that their might be blockage some where.  I am pretty sure the
line to the engine crankcase is clear but less sure about the line to
the governor (one of few parts I did not completely tear apart).

Also noticed that the temp gauge did not rise any.  I think the gauge is
OK.  I had heated it when I had it removed and the needle responded.  So
I felt the lower water pipe into the engine and it was cool to the
touch.  I drained a little water from the radiator and it too was cool.
The water at the top of the radiator was hot (but not boiling).  I am
not experienced with the thermo-siphoned systems so not sure just how
hot it has to get to start flowing.  Note that it was mid-70's outside
and I ran the engine on and off for about an hour (about 30 minutes
straight the last time).  Also this tractor does not have a shutter
attached.  I started to put a blockage in front of it to raise the temp
but thought I would ping this group first.

BTW, thanks for a lot of help with this build.  I did not post much but
followed a lot of the issues others had.  Go Big Red!