[AT] Rechargerable battery powered tools

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Oct 16 08:32:15 PDT 2005

	My closest neighbor is putting a good sized addition to
his pole barn shop and I dropped over to supervise a
while...   :-)
	Another neighbor who is not working at the moment was
there helping him and as we chatted about battery tools he
mentioned something I had not thought of. The place he had
been working was in a commercial area in Indy near the
Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There are some smallish pretty
tough old residential clumps scattered through that area.
Plenty of drugs, shootings, down on their luck alcoholics,
fun stuff like that...   :-)   Lots of walled and fenced
back business lots and factory lots.
	It seems that when several makers came out with with
rechargable battery powered "saws-all" type saws that the
burglary rate in those areas absolutely went through the
roof... In a few cases literally... A chained and padlocked
gate is no match at all for those saws. Neither is an out
of site section of fence or wall. In some cases someone up
on a roof out of sight could zip into a steel roof in
seconds. Lots of the newer business buildings are almost
all steel.
	Such methods have always been available to more
accomplished crooks but now it is within easy reach of what
would normally be petty thieves. They can buy the saw for
about $100 (or steal one) and be in business with the big
boys... Many of these burglaries are the type of thing
where over a thousand dollars in damage is done to a
building just to steal a tiny amount of petty cash that is
on site to go buy some booze. A little like when they used
to pour salt water in our outdoor Coke machine to get it to
occasionally kick out about $2 worth of nickles... It
caused hundreds of dollars of damage but only rarely kicked
out the nickles. Of course vandals liked to just knock it
over on its face. Also caused a lot of damage. I tried
fastening it back to the wall of the building but they just
hooked on to it with a chain around it and pulled it over
with a car. Talk about costly damage...
	A nice fellow I used to know moved the small factory
(Universal Manufacturing) he had bought out, to a location
not far from the farm here, from that west side Indy area.
He was having so many break-ins that it was breaking him.
That was before the battery powered tools. He had told me
that he was averaging some kind of break-in or attempt once
a week. Mostly guys looking for easy booze or drug money,
not a big score. He basically could not buy insurance
there.
	He was making the three wheel McLean riding lawn mowers.

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net