[Steam-engine] wood bearings

JEFF LUND lundmachineworks at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 18:15:32 PDT 2005

If you check the Machinery Handbook it calls for
Lignavitae as the first choice, and Hard Maple as you
second choice.   Oak is an abrasive wood.  I have
heard instances where is has cut shafts off.  After
making your bearing out of maple boil it in oil for
self lubrication.  Modern combines still use this on
the straw-walkers.   Courtland Hardware in Courltland
Minnesota has ties to a saw mill and can get you hard
maple.  I just bought a 4x4 by 8 ft for $32.00.

Jeff Lund
Lund Machine Works
New Ulm, MN