[Steam-engine] wood bearings

HISTMACHRY at aol.com HISTMACHRY at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 06:33:39 PDT 2005

Do any of you know of machinery, lineshafts, countershafts, where wood is
used as the bearing? Or as a variation on a theme, where babbitt is poured
directly on the wood. I'm looking for info, examples, photos of such bearing
arragements primarily in the metal and wood working fields, particularly on custom
made machines. As an example there is a cut off saw at the Agrirama's sawmill in
Tifton GA, the bearings on this swing saw look as if the steel pulley shaft
runs on wood. No one at the site could tell me.

Robert Yuill